Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kids Bathroom: Before and After

This has been a long time coming. We knew we wanted to redo this bathroom from the beginning. So after we got our refund we started doing some checking. Phillip has done bathroom redos before but didn't know if he was up for the "adventure". So we had someone come out and give us a quote. The quote was almost $6,000........ We decided we needed a little adventure. So we began operation bathroom remodel. All six of us showered and got ready in our master bath while this was being worked on whenever he had the time.

Here is the bathroom before. Same tile on the countertops, bathtub surround and floor. blah.
Bathtub that no one takes a bath in and the shower wall was leaking, so we knew we had a problem to be fixed.

It was outdated and very oakey. Everything was oak. towel bars, cabinets, countertop trim, even the toilet seat and lid.

Here are the results of all the hard labor. The pictures just don't do it justice. We took out the builders grade mirror and replaced it with two oval pewter finish mirrors. The countertops had to be custom made through HomeDepot. It's kind of hard to pick something from just a little square picture on a paper. They're not granite, but made to look like it. I wanted something dark so my three girl's dark hair wouldn't show up as easily. I painted the walls and the cabinets. I still have to paint the big linen cabinet behind the door and the door and trim.

I knew I wanted to do a board and batten wall. It was pretty easy. I just measured everything and had the boards cut to my measurments at home depot. Then painted the wall white and attached the boards, installed the hooks and hung the pretty ruffled towels.

The shower was the difficult part. We cutsom ordered the cultured marble panels and Phillip cut them to fit and installed them(with my help). We had a plumber come and move the drain and install the new fixtures.

It's soooooo much better than what we had before. We'll probably have a shower door or glass panel installed someday. But for now the shower curtain works fine.
We replaced the standard above the mirror lights with this pretty fixture.

Got a new water efficient toilet and new floor tile. Again, I went dark because of all the long dark hair in this family. I added dropcloth to the shower curtain to extend the length because of where the window hits, the shower rod had to go up quite a bit higher.

Overall, we're happy with the way it turned out. Projects like this have a way of taking on a life of their own. What you start out with in your mind doesn't always come out that way in the end. You make it all work out somehow. Remodels are very challenging on a marriage. Moving the 200lb. shower base together from the garage to the bathroom on two furniture dollies just about made me want to move out. But we kissed and made up eventually and we're done with this project. I don't want to start another one for a very long time. Or until I forget how stressful this one was and get something new stuck in my head. Yeah, that's pretty likely.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Bev said...

Finally we get to see your bathroom! I love it! It turned out so nice. You guys did a lot of hard work. Remodeling projects are a true test of patience, endurance and marriage strength, but yours survived! A calming, soothing, lovely bathroom. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Becky!! Really gorgeous. I know what you mean about moving really heavy objects with husbands .. ha ha .. cracks me up just thinking about it!

Briannon said...

my favorite part is the towel wall with the board...it looks modern but not not homey if you know what i mean..your house is looking awesome!

grandma said...

WOW! What a difference! It looks so nice. I like the white boards in contrast with the dark. You did a great job planning and doing all of this. Where did the towels come from. I really like them.

Unknown said...

Becky, I think you are pretty darn amazing, it looks better then the things I see on the decorating shows. I love it! Good job.

Jan said...

You are awesome and your blog inspires me, I love everything you do!!